10 Must Try Beers at Cincy Winter Beerfest 2014
I’ve compiled a list of 10 “must try” beers from the nearly 375 beers and ciders available at this year’s Cincy Winter Beerfest. These are either rare, new, or just plain delicious beers. This is only a recommendation and the best part about a beer festival is getting to try so many beers for a flat fee. Don’t be afraid to dump your pour and move on!
10 Must Try Beers
- Blank Slate – Shroominous: A very tasty big brown ale that doesn’t necessarily taste like mushrooms (so don’t freak out if you don’t like shrooms). This one hasn’t made quite as many rounds as Fork in the Road but it’s one of my favorites.
- Brew Kettle – White Rajah: This is prime example of one the many, many fantastic hop-forward IPAs brewed in Ohio.
- Christian Moerlien – Emancipator: This won the silver medal at the prestigious Great American Beer Festival this past fall. This is a prime example of the style and it’s brewed in our own backyard.
- Ei8ht Ball – Red Drink: I’m a sucker for a well made, serious red ale. This stuff from across the river doesn’t disappoint. Although, you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t check out their brewery and beer bar.
- Great Lakes – Cherry Vanilla Edmund Fitzgerald: The normal Eddie Fitz is a word class porter and this variation sounds delicious! You aren’t going to find this one too often.
- Jackie O’s – Mandala Columbus DIPA: I had a single glass of this once at Dutch’s and loved it. You’ll love it too if you’re a fan of Columbus hops.
- MadTree – 1 yr old Bourbon Barrel Axis Mundi: I love barrel aged Axis Mundi and now it’s had a year to soak up that barrel goodness. Don’t sleep on this!
- Stone – Espresso Imperial Russian Stout: A great beer for coffee fans. I’m still kicking myself for not picking up more than one bomber when it was released this past fall.
- Three Floyds – Arctic Panzer Wolf: One of the staple Imperial IPAs from the famous brewery, it’s always worth a taste when you can get your hands on some.
- Triple Digit – Cinnamon Roll Chickow!: I haven’t managed to get my hands on this Chickow! variation but I love the regular and the barrel aged versions, so I’m confident this one will be good as well.
I recognize some of these may be in the more expensive VIP/Connoisseur area or may get kicked early. Here are some honorable mention substitutes.
- Bell’s Hopslam
- Founder’s Imperial Stout
- Fifty West Ghost of Imogene
- Listerman Peanut Butter Porter
- MadTree Sprye
- Rhinegeist Fiction
- Three Floyds Gumballhead
- Victory Golden Monkey
Don’t forget! One of the local breweries will be pouring a very limited quantity, one-off beer on Saturday night (only) if you have a special password. Watch your #CincyBeerBloggers social media accounts for clues!
What Did I Miss?
What are you most looking forward to trying? Did I completely miss the mark on some of these? Let’s hear your recommendations!