Local Beer News Roundup
October’s over and November is in full swing. Here’s what’s been happening in the Cincinnati brewing scene… and what reliable sources have told me to look forward to in the near future.
- Beer Mumbo, arguably the area’s funniest beer blogger, brewed an imperial brown ale at Cellar Dweller over the weekend. The behemoth included 10 pounds of cocoa nibs! Look for a special tap room release in the coming weeks.
- Blank Slate Brewing Company finished installing their three new fermentors acquired from Rivertown Brewing. They expect to meet current demands while pushing out towards Dayton in the near future. Don’t expect bottling/canning any time in the near future, though. Next steps would be a potential small taproom (think a place to taste samples and fill growlers) and additional fermentors and/or bright tanks. Otherwise, things are status quo for the wildly successful small brewer.
- Blank Slate and Triple Digit recently finished bottling (by hand!) their new collaboration project, Fruition. This is billed as an imperial saison with blackberries. Sounds VERY interesting and given the success of their last collaboration, Determination, we should be in for a treat.
- Listermann/Triple Digit fired up their new bottling line. This officially makes them Cincinnati’s first craft brewery to use silk-screen printed bottles… okay, so that’s a stretch for a milestone first but it’s still really exciting news. I’m looking forward to the expanded distribution!
- Listermann received label approval for a new beer, Rummy.
- MadTree rolled out four new beers over the past week or so. We were treated with a vanilla and coffee/vanilla version of Gnarly Brown, a delicious Black IPA called Everything Went Black (consider drinking it alongside Identity Crisis for some fun), and their Thundersnow scotch ale (aka winter warmer). All are delicious and only available in the taproom.
- MadTree has a serious barrel aging program going on with call kinds of goodies currently resting in wood homes. Favorites like Axis Mundi will return but some new beers and new twists will appear as well. BA Happy Amber ought to be really interesting.
- Speaking of Happy Amber, prepare your palates for “Unhappy Amber” – an imperial red based loosely on the ever popular canned variety. It hasn’t been brewed yet but plans are in the works.
- MadTree hosted Queen City Fresh Fest this past Saturday which was a roaring success. Unofficial accounting shows this was the biggest sales night for the taproom since it opened about seven months ago.
- Rhinegeist is now open 7 days a week. Drop in between 4pm and 11pm Monday-Thursday to get your fix.
- Rhinegeist apparently has some new tanks on the way. One might deduce that this would provide extra capacity in order to begin canning their delicious beers!
- Triple Digit will release their new beer Cranium (we saw the label approval show up a while back) this Wednesday (11/6) at Dutch’s.